Wednesday, July 11, 2012

New Beginnings

I decided to start this blog to document my teaching in Tarsus, Turkey. Just in case you don't know where Tarsus is located, here's a map. :) It's about 30 minutes from the Mediterranean. Mersin (also seen on a map as İçel) and Adana are larger cities than Tarsus.

I got the job when I attended the International Teacher's Fair at the University of Northern Iowa. I know, international and Iowa don't usually go together, right? ;0 But honestly, the fair was amazing! So much energy and excitement. Once I was there, I knew I had to go.  I would highly recommend going to the fair if you have ever considered international teaching.

The school is Tarsus American College and is an IB school. I'll be teaching ninth and tenth graders literature and writing. All students in Turkey take a national test at the end of eighth grade. This test determines their placement into the first year of high school. Students have a five year high school with their first year preparing them for the next four years.

But, now that school is out in Greeley, Colorado, I'm just waiting....oh, and packing too! Packing and pitching! Ok, ok, I have been catching a few games too, but it seems like I have been going through stuff for ever!

And as I'm seeing Facebook postings about people who have already started their international adventure, I'm anxious to get going. But, for now, I must wait and pack.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, it IS cool. I'll love having a way to keep caught up with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to thank you Natalie, for not only reading my personal statement, but also encourageing me to go! I appreciate you meeting me at Starbucks that day while I sobbed my way through deciding to go! What a day that was! ;0

      Delete
  2. Hey! Isn't this the hometown of St. Paul, the great Epistle writer? I had no idea this was TURKEY! How cool! I can't wait to follow you, Stacey. When is your final departure date?

    ReplyDelete